Chief Government Relations Officer
Harambee is looking for a dynamic, results-oriented individual to work as a Portfolio
Executive to play a crucial role in shaping Harambee interactions with government entities and policymakers. A learning mindset and an attitude to continuously learn to improve will be critical for success. This individual must have great relationship management and a client-delighting mindset, as well as a strong delivery capability to ensure we deliver on our strategic goal as Harambee; to institutionalize our solutions to employ young people in government and increase youth access to Public Employment Programs.
- Manage and orchestrate the unlocking of all demand across National, Provincial and
- Own the strategy, solutions design and implementation of the key relationships with
government entities and partners
- Build and manage key relationships that unlock government opportunities
- Conceptualise and implement strategic initiatives that will embed Harambee as a
preferred partner in the Public Sector
- Support funder management and reporting on strategic Government partnerships
- Design the data insights and impact agenda for Harambee’s role in public employment programmes
- Programmatic oversight of partnership agreements and team managing government
- Stakeholder engagement including government, business, civil society, various
- Enable visibility and identify linkages across various portfolios of work, and support
alignment where required (matrix management)
- People leadership
- Financial management
- Demand management
- Whatever else is needed to deliver results!
Government Relations Strategy:
- Develop and execute government relations strategies aligned with Harambee goals and objectives.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory developments that could impact the organization.
- Assess the potential impact of political and policy changes on the organization and
develop strategies to mitigate risks or leverage opportunities.
Lobbying and Advocacy:
- Engage with government officials, legislators, and regulatory bodies to advocate for the
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including government agencies,
industry associations, and advocacy groups.
- Prepare and deliver persuasive presentations, briefings, and testimony to support the
Policy Analysis and Research:
- Analyze and evaluate proposed legislation, regulations, and government policies that
can impact youth unemployment.
- Conduct research to stay informed about current political and policy trends that affect
- Provide guidance and recommendations to leadership based on policy analysis.
Compliance and Reporting:
- Ensure the organization complies with all relevant laws, regulations, and reporting
- Maintain records of lobbying activities, expenditures, and contributions in accordance
with organisational standards.
- Collaborate with internal teams, executives, and subject matter experts to develop a
unified government relations strategy.
• Engage with external stakeholders, including trade associations, think tanks, academics
and advocacy groups, to build coalitions and alliances that support the organization’s
Public Affairs and Communication:
- Develop and implement communication plans to articulate the organization’s positions
and achievements to government officials, the public, and other stakeholders.
Political and Regulatory Risk Management:
- Assess and manage political and regulatory risks that could impact the organization’s
operations or reputation.
- Develop contingency plans and strategies to address potential challenges.
- Manage the budget for government relations activities, including lobbying expenses,
advocacy campaigns, and external partnerships.
Reporting and Metrics:
- Track and report on the effectiveness of government relations efforts, including key
performance indicators (KPIs) and outcomes.
- Provide regular updates to leadership and stakeholders on legislative and regulatory
Ethical and Legal Compliance:
- Adhere to ethical standards and legal requirements governing government relations,
lobbying, and campaign contributions.
- Respond to crises or emergencies that have a government relations component,
working to protect the organization’s interests.
Education and Training:
- Provide education and training to internal teams on government relations issues and
- Stay updated on best practices in government relations, compliance, and advocacy.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in business/Commerce, Public Administration,
International Relations or equivalent
- Master’s degree in a strategy or business discipline (Advantageous)
- At least 5 – 8 years’ experience managing key and complex stakeholders with
- At least 5 – 8 years’ experience working on the delivery of projects and/or
programmes within or with the government sector
- At least 3 years’ experience managing teams working on complex delivery and
- Good understanding of South Africa’s political landscape (Advantageous)
- Experience managing large cross-functional teams across geographies
- Demonstrated competence and passion for empowering youth and other
vulnerable persons (Advantageous)
- Communication skills in other South African languages (Advantageous)
- A moderate understanding of technology platforms (Advantageous)
- Strong communication, relationship management and interpersonal skills
- Conceptual and analytical problem solving
- Results-focused mindset
- Planning and organising skills
- Leadership and management skills
- Ability to work across multiple streams and projects.
- Strong process implementation skills
- Financial and business management acumen
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Ability to create understanding of complex problems.
- You may also be required to travel nationally to client sites from time to time.
- Please note although this role is hybrid, the position is Johannesburg based and
based on client engagements may require the successful individual to be in the
office multiple days per week.
By applying for this vacancy, you give consent to your CV to be reviewed for
other roles and allow for your cv to be shared with the relevant persons at